Microsoft requires connections for Outlook, Hotmail, and MSN email addresses be made over oauth.
In order to use oauth with Context.IO, you will need to add your Microsoft oauth provider key to your Context.IO account. You will need to do this if you handle your own oauth, or if you use our connect_tokens feature.
Types of Microsoft accounts for which we support oauth:
We DO NOT support oauth for Office365 at the moment. Connections to Office365 must be made over IMAP if IMAP is enabled by the end-user.
How to get a Microsoft API key
- Go to apps.dev.microsoft.com and login (or create an account if you don't have one already).
- Click on "Add an app", and name your application.
- Under "Application Secrets" click on "Generate a New Password". The wording is confusing but essentially, this "Password" is your client secret. This is the client secret you will need to enter on console.context.io as your "Client secret / Consumer secret"
- Under "Platforms" click on "Add platform".
- Under "Redirect URI" enter this redirect URI:
- Click "Save".
Add your Microsoft API key to Context.IO
- Go to console.context.io and click on "Settings".
- Click on "Oauth Access to IMAP".
- Under "Add Oauth Consumer ID", select "Microsoft Live Connect".
- In the "Client ID / Consumer key" enter the Application ID of your Microsoft Application.
- In the "Client secret / Consumer secret" enter the Password generated in Step 4 of "How to get a Microsoft API key".
- Click "add". You should see your Microsoft Consumer Key and Secret added to the account.
Authenticating with connect tokens
If you are using connect_tokens, this should be all you need in order for you to start authenticating Microsoft users (Outlook.com, Hotmail.com, and MSN.com only).
Handling your own oauth
We use the MSLIVECONNECT API to authenticate users. While this API has been deprecated, you can still request tokens. Here are instructions on how to get the token that you pass to us: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh243647.aspx. The scope we require is "wl.emails wl.basic wl.imap wl.offline_access".
Please note: We need tokens from this API as it is the only API that allows us to connect via IMAP and run IMAP commands. Support via the Outlook API is forthcoming.